Thursday, August 5, 2010

August 31st, 2010 Meeting

It's August already and I'm jump starting the new school year with new goals and new hopes. With that, I'm happy to announce that Heidi Knuuttila, from Barkell Elementary School in Hancock, has agreed to come and speak to our group. Heidi, is the special education teacher at Barkell and she is going to share with us how parents can be proactive in the school system. She'll share some problem solving tips, conflict resolution strategies, and how to create a positive team building relationship between parents, teachers, principals, aids, and so on.

Heidi helped my husband and I work through some very sensitive concerns throughout last year. Our son was in Kindergarten last year and the experience was new to him but also for my husband and I as parents. Heidi helped us work with the principal and teachers to ensure that Noah had a positive and successful school year; and he did.

Again, I know that it's hard to think about a new school year when we're having such a lovely summer. Still, I encourage you to come and hear what Heidi is going to share with us. Even if you're a veteran in the school system, please come and maybe share what has worked for you and your child(ren). For those who aren't looking at school for a little while yet, please come as well, it's never too early to acquire knowledge; and I'm sure that what you'll hear will relieve any anxieties you may have.

The meeting will be held on August 31, 2010 from 6-8 at the BHK Houghton Center. AmeriCorps workers will not be working on site at that time so I do not know if I will be able to guarantee childcare. A flier will be following this post in a couple of weeks and I will know by then if I can offer childcare or not.

Have a wonderful August!

No comments:

Post a Comment